Been in an accident?

Learn how the MAIB can assist you in the event of a motor vehicle accident where yourself or another party is injured...

How we can assist

How the MAIB can assist you

If you were injured

If you have been injured in a motor accident, the first thing you should do is make a claim with the MAIB. We provide a range of benefits and services to help you recover from your injury after a motor vehicle accident.

Learn more

If you were not injured

If you were involved in an accident but did not sustain an injury, in certain situations we will need you to complete some claim forms;

If you were the driver in one of the vehicles involved:
Let us know about your involvement in the accident by completing a Notice of Accident form.

If an Ambulance attended the scene of the accident:
The Ambulance service may issue an invoice for their attendance. To make a claim for those costs complete an Application for Benefits form. If you were the driver, complete and return a Notice of Accident form also.

If you caused an injury to someone

If you were involved in an accident and you believe you were partially or wholly at fault, please complete a Notice of Accident form so that we may protect your interests.

Who can claim

Who can claim

A claim may be made with the MAIB by:

  • Tasmanians injured in Tasmania.
  • Non Tasmanian residents injured in Tasmania, providing the accident involves a motor vehicle registered in Tasmania.
  • Residents of Tasmania injured outside of Tasmania but within the Commonwealth of Australia providing a Tasmanian registered vehicle was involved in the motor accident.
  • Non Tasmanian residents in a non-Tasmanian registered vehicle who are eligible for the daily care component of our legislation.

There are some circumstances in which a claim with the MAIB would be excluded from the payment of benefits.

Learn more

How to make a claim

How to make a claim

  • Report the accident to a police officer as soon as possible (if the police did not attend the scene of the accident).
  • Complete an Application for Benefits (Form B) and return it to us within 12 months of the date of the accident.
  • If you were the driver or owner of a vehicle involved in the accident, also complete a Notice of Accident (Form A).


Once your claim has been assessed, we will contact you within 5 working days after receipt of your claim to notify you of the status of your claim.

Fatal injuries

When someone is fatally injured

Should you have lost a family member in a motor accident, we can assist with the expenses associated with the funeral.  Financial support may also be available for dependants.

MAIB can also assist with counselling services.

Learn more

Forms & brochures