How to Make a Claim

In order to make a claim for no fault benefits you must:

1. Report the accident to the police

One of the most important things to do when you have been involved in a motor accident is to report the accident as soon as practicable to a police officer, online reporting is not acceptable.

If the accident is not reported to the police, your claim for benefits may be denied by the MAIB.

2. Report the accident to MAIB

If you were the driver, or the registered owner of a vehicle involved in an accident, you are required to notify the MAIB of the details of the accident.

To satisfy the MAIB’s notification requirements you will need to complete:

> Form A – Notice of Accident Form

3. Make a claim with MAIB

If you have incurred costs for medical treatment as a result of personal injuries sustained in a motor accident, you will need to make a claim with MAIB. In order for the MAIB to correctly assess your entitlements, you will need to complete:

> Form B – Application for Scheduled Benefits Form

Claim forms must be fully completed and the original documents provided to the MAIB in order to make a claim for no fault benefits.

The MAIB cannot consider any claim costs until the appropriate claim forms have been completed. Please complete the documents in full, otherwise delays may occur in the processing of your claim.

For urgent matters, fully completed claim documents can be sent to us by facsimile or by email (see contact details below) but the original forms must be provided to us by mail within 5 working days.

Claims must be lodged within 12 months of the date of the motor accident.

For further information contact can be made by:

Telephone       1800 006 224 or (03) 6336-4800
Facsimile        (03) 6336-4848

Or by visiting us at:

Level 1, 33 George Street